Thursday, December 14, 2017

Do they know you're pregnant?

So my mom calls me up because she just received my In-laws' holiday card - they usually attach a lengthy typed letter to a card, and attached one to a Chanukah card for my rents, as appropriate.

"Have you seen this card?"
"No, not yet, is it the usual doozy?" I ask.

They tend to write these rambling formal letters documenting everything from their most recent medical history to their daily activities at the senior retirement community where they live.

"OMG.  THEY DIDN'T MENTION THE BABY?  WHAT ABOUT THE BABY???" screeches my New Yorker mom, in a most intentionally Seinfeld-esque way.

"ALL we talk about is the baby," she continues.  It's true.  My mom and dad are buying layettes, and onesies and crib sheets, and mailing us all of the things that make Niblet coo when she opens these boxes.

Mom proceeds to read me the letter.  Indeed, it documents my in-laws' "increasing medical appointments and decreasing energy."  But with that, they're remaining active at their community, doing things like the library book collection and maintaining the community bulletin board and gardening.

They mention being in close distance to their son D and his wife W, and their son T, his wife [Me] and their almost 9-year old daughter.

And that's it.  No mention that they are hoping to meet another grandchild soon.

Now, look, being Jewish, I am used to superstition.  Some of us don't even buy anything before this kid takes a breath outside the womb.  But, having endured the loss of a baby in the second trimester - who I went as far to name - I would like to think that if in some horrific twist of fate I lost Nutmeg, we would be publicly shouting her name to the hills.  She would be honored.  She has been loved, by more than just me.

But I'm about to pop out a kid, and likely sooner rather than later. (Another post on this soon).  Niblet is currently the ONLY grandchild in the family, on both sides.  Aunts and cousins on Viking's side are already sending us cards talking about their excitement for this impending arrival.

You guys, the retirement community BULLETIN BOARD got a shout out in this Christmas letter and my baby didn't.

"They seem oddly hostile to this poor baby," said my best friend, who has met them too many times to count, and following the saga of how they don't talk about the pregnancy at all.  ""Did they include the test results from the colonoscopy in the card?"

Recall the day after we told them Nibble was going to be a big sister, I was 18 weeks along.  And my MIL pulls me aside and whispers, "aren't you worried that you have too much on your plate?"

PSA - when someone tells you that they're pregnant - and they're smiling and excited about it - the only thing that should come out of your mouth - regardless of that someone's age or personal circumstance - is CONGRATULATIONS.

Rant over.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your in-laws have just dismissed what is happening to the family. Perhaps they are being overly cautious and when the baby arrives they'll be posting about this all over social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Nah, they actually don't even know what social media is (they stopped progressing technologically around 1986). My MIL is always asking if I can "ask the computer questions about recipes). I suspect they are worried that we will hit them up for baby-sitting or $$$. Which they really have no need to to worry about.

      Delete
  2. Then let us hope its goofy Jewish tradition of don't acknowledge something until it is done. That bulletin board cannot get hurt if they don't get Mardi gras beads from Mrs Schaeffer's son out of new Orleans :) if they love niblet, then its hopefully just fear based! Hoping to hear more about having g a baby sooner than later. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, they're WASPs.

      MIL stared at my belly and asked me my due date and was completely shocked - it was as if she forgot I was pregnant! I'm more convinced than ever that it's this passive aggressive thing where they're truly afraid we will make them come over more instead of napping in their condo.

      Delete