Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Gaslighting (or I have NO TIME for this crap) - UPDATE BELOW

So meanwhile....


My car - a snazzy 2008 Pontiac Vibe - is a deathtrap. Or, to be more specific, my car has one of those deadly passenger-side Takata airbags that has been recalled because people have died.

So I schedule my free servicing with the closest dealership to my house, about 30 minutes away.  I take the day off from work, knowing this will be a five hour job.  Knock this off the list, justonemore, you got your oil changed already, let this be ONE. LESS. THING.


I pull up to the station.  The lady notes my VIN number.  And we have the following fucked up exchange:


"Ma'am, this car has already been serviced, this recall has been addressed."

"Um, no, it hasn't.  I think I would remember taking it in."

"No, our records show that this car has been serviced, the airbag was removed and replaced."

"No.  It wasn't.  I have never been here before." (You can imagine I am large and hormonal and getting a wee bit upset).

"Ma'am, calm down. Maybe you took it to another dealership."

"Look, I can't.  This is insane.  I've never taken this car anywhere.  There is a takata airbag in the passenger side dashboard and I am having a baby in four weeks."

"I'll go get our service manager."


Service Manager arrives.


"Ma'am, how many miles do you have on this car?"

(I turn car back on). "57,673"

"Oh.  And you live in Baltimore correct?"

"Yes."

"So, according to GMs records, a car with your VIN number was serviced in Connecticut, in June.  That car has 190,000 miles on it."

"So you're telling me that my car's identity has been stolen?!?!?"


Friends, I'm not going to record the continued fuckupedness of this conversation.  How I was accused of overreacting because the airbag really isn't *THAT* dangerous.  How my parts were never ordered (despite getting confirmation from the station that my car was being serviced this day), because GM would never allow the manager to order them.  And It's five days later, and this tool promised me he would call GM, sort this out, order my parts, and get my car fixed asap, seeing as I am about to have a fucking BABY.


I have been stalking the station manager over the phone for two days.  Nothing.  


OMG, this is like being pecked to death by ducks.


*Update*

I called GM - now the story gets even more ridiculous.  The Service Manager lied.  My car's VIN number clearly indicates that the recall is open.  He probably lied because he never ordered the parts.  Weirdly pathological, I know.  Oh well.  They got him on the phone with me and he quickly backtracked, saying the parts arrived and all was well, and let's schedule this servicing.

(He got the parts yesterday, did the world's fastest repair, and this stupid chapter is blessedly over.  Back to ruminating about pregnancy!)

1 comment:

  1. Car Vin identity theft: we change your mileage, your location and maybe even the paint color... If you look into the dark web, maybe you can steal that Connecticut cars identify :) that is truly screwed up!!! And as my DH is a computer guru, nobody knows WTH a dark web is other than turning down the contrast ;) hugs big pregnant lady!

    ReplyDelete