Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Good morning brain. You can shut down now.

Information has been thrown my way today that is incredibly calming, I LOVE days like this.

To start: this morning I learned that an old friend is pregnant with her first, and my knee-jerk reaction was pure unadulterated joy for her.  Instead of the jealousy that usually creeps in.  For the first time in a while, I just smiled at a beautiful facebook picture.  Guys, this is a new experience for me.  It doesn't hurt that she is roughly my age, a source of hope for an AMA chick like myself.

Than later this morning I got a call from the nice nurse coordinator who deals with scheduling and insurance in Dr. Cuddles' office.  It turns out that my husband's insurance will probably not cover ANYTHING related to fertility treatments because I am technically not infertile.  My two miscarriages don't count, and I need two years of never getting pregnant for their coverage to kick in on anything, IUI or IVF.

Here comes the crazy part:  I am THRILLED about this!

Last night I tossed and turned about IVF.  I had been considering dropping my excellent primary insurance coverage to go on my husband's plan.... but this would have a domino effect of eliminating other benefits I enjoy from the plan (including a childcare benefit I get for niblet).  Not to mention I was torn about embarking on a very difficult physical and emotional set of procedures that kinda/maybe could get me successfully impregnated  - some stats put my success rate as low as 20%.

Well, thanks to this new info - that my husband's plan wouldn't cover IVF even if we wanted it - I don't have to think about this anymore. It's one less thing to wrack my brain over. Yay!  We don't have $15K lying around, period.  We do have some savings we carved aside for IUIs, but that's it, that's as far as we can go without tapping into retirement savings (and we consider ourselves lucky to have that).   I no longer have to envision a future where the best possible scenario includes our children taking care of their elderly-assed parents, who foolishly took a penalty on the 401K to bring them into this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment