Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Feeling the suck of it all

Niblet had a breakdown last night. Between virtual-school, ballet class (which she now despises) and her period, it was a rough night.

"Sammi is lucky she won't remember any of this!" she cried.

I hugged her s tight as she would let me (that she let me tells you how bad she felt, have I mentioned she's now about my size?)

Because I advocate for health care workers I get the benefit of reading COVID stats every day. Our case positivity rates here in the basement of the northeast are not encouraging. It's gonna be a long winter. I've been trying to get her out weekly on a socially distanced play date with a friend, that helps a bit. I've also encouraged her to journal everything right now. And allowed her to watch So. Much. More. TV than I usually would.

She's such an amazing kid, and I hate that she's miserable. I tried putting her situation in perspective without being sanctimonious about it:

"This sucks. what you are experiencing completely sucks. There are people who are suffering worse than us right now and I'm trying to focus on that. Not to take away how much things suck for you, but to be thankful that we aren't sick. None of our family members have died from this. Your dad and I still have our jobs and can still employ C. I'm not saying any of this to take away your feeling bad. Things sucking is not a competition, you can feel terrible and while having it better than other people."

The other people I am referring to are the ones who are a paycheck away from eviction, lining up for food pantries and attending zoom funerals. 

I have one friend who lives in a well-off area of NJ where her kids were attending hybrid school set ups. Her household was just in complete upheaval. Her asymptomatic younger kid brought home COVID, passed it to the Dad. Dad had *mild* COVID. What this looked like was him being completely laid out on his ass for over a week, unable to even walk to the bathroom without help. They had a big enough house that he could quarantine in his den, and the kid could quarantine in her room. Mom and her older kid then rearranged life to keep the house functional (meals, laundry, cleaning etc).

Look, none of this was earth shattering. But who the fuck has time for even mild COVID in their lives, assuming they're lucky? 



3 comments:

  1. Woogie and I were looking at a workbook. He had to write a story about something factual. He tried and cried 4 times. First was about hanging out with Aunt Kelly during birth of Eilish...he misses her. Thanksgiving also because he misses her. Valentine's day because he remembers love but nothing specific. Halloween because it was a blue moon and he didn't realize it and now it's gone. Omg kid! You are 7. Things are good. In their minds it's just one disappointed opportunity at a time. Mississippi #s suck too.

    Hunker down. Get Niblet some chocolate. And maybe old sexy Sean Connery movies? Poor pookey. My 26 month old and 11 month old have almost not seen outside the confines of our house and thank GAWD for my 6 seater golf cart and a swanky neighborhood to tootsie around in... Shit I can't even find Lyra's shoes bc we just never leave the house.

    No funerals here either. But it's spiking. Let's hope we can flatten the curve. Hugs.

    I told him his factual story could involve describing a nice gratifying fart or picking his nose or how his penis sticks to his balls. Nope. Just crying. I am unsure I want to peek in his mind as that might just be too scary. Say this out loud for yourself. It's something that at the moment I said with a straight face.
    Rigel there is never a time when it's ok to eat random things you find on your penis.

    Welcome to wacky parenting 101. Roll with it. We have no other choice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the one disappointed opportunity at a time. You're right!

      I took Niblet out to pick up a sandwich at Panera the other day - she was gobsmacked by a woman who ran into the store without a mask. Traumatized really, when the ramifications struck her.

      Hang in there, I'm picturing y'all on the golf cart and smiling SO. HARD.

      Delete
  2. My 2013 $2000 bubble buddy used to drive drunken Dallas cowboys fans to and from their cars. It was involved in a fire. It has bondo. Bunny fought hard to not get one due to cost but it has been a sanity saver. One day I will paint it kinda Viscerion blue with white flames. Not too ghetto but not too outlandish for my very caucasian neighborhood. We $1 store birthday twerked it... My 5 year old decorated it with pompoms and wavy pool noodles. It was the hit. Instant cool kid status. Now everyone is in school and I don't think anyone is getting close enough to join us on our turtle relocation adventures.

    We renovated an old victorian in downtown so I have lived in the heart of not great.

    Hugs to you guys.

    ReplyDelete