Monday, November 9, 2015

Blood and stuff

So check this out, I am pre-diabetic.  Can you believe it, Dr. Cuddles was right all along so many moons ago that I was developing insulin resistance.  Crazy, right?  I've said it before, I am pretty fit.  I don't look like someone headed towards Type 2 Diabetes. I eat my greens, stay away from sodas and juices, and try not to mainline the cookies and donuts.  I don't drink, barely a glass of wine a week.  But apparently this isn't enough to carry on as a lifestyle because my hemoglobin numbers came back troubling.

Sigh.  They just opened an "artisinal donut" shop near my house and on a day off I partook in my first  - and now last - chocolate creme filled moment of ecstacy.  So much for life's tiny pleasures.

The trickier one for me is bread. I have done a pretty good job of curbing the pastas and potatoes.  But being of French extraction, I splurge on piece of baguette with cheese, or a croissant, on a weekly basis. I live near an amazing french bakey and I sometimes feel like it's my mothership.  Meme Celine, my paternal grandmother, introduced me to the joys of pain au chocolat,  or a breakfast of just some bread and a slice of brie.  Curbing this weekly indulgence will feel like a true sacrifice.  My Dad, who just shared that he has also had similar hemoglobin numbers, advised that I turn my weekly treat into a monthly one.  We'll see how that goes.

And don't get me started on my husband, who drinks like ten beers over the course of a weekend, could easily stand to drop a ton of weight, and still has pristine sugar numbers. 

On the other hand, my Vitamin D levels are now normal and the 5000 IU/day appears to be doing the trick.

I also appear to have ovulated at the right time, just a few hours shy of CD 14 in the middle of the night, so the vitex could be working too.

If I get a normal period this month I will call it a success. 

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm sorry that really sucks. I guess it goes to show that Type 2 diabetes can exist outside of the unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I shared the results with an overweight co-worker who simply said, "welcome to the club" and I will never again be so smug in my slender fitness-instructor-ness.

      Delete
  2. diabtes is often hereditary so blame you gene not your lifestyle. R-lipoic acid or ALA alpha lipioic acid does wonders to reduce glucose levels naturally. Iyt worked for my husband. I take it also because the steroid I am taking increases blood sugar. I am also sugar free, caffeine free, gluten free, and mostly dairy free and eat no red meat. Is there anything else to give up? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. *diabetes~sorry for all the typos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vitamin D is very helpful in today's life. Now a day there is deficiency of Vitamin D in every person. Due to this deficiency, your immune system become weak and this results in disease which grows into your body.
    If anyone is struggling with infertility problem, then you can visit Test Tube Baby Center in India and schedule free consultation.

    ReplyDelete