Monday, May 11, 2015

Hanging on on Mother's Day

It's a tough, loaded Hallmark Holiday, isn't it?  My miracle child keeps me sane.  What of the women who are childless?  Who lost mothers?  Who lost babies?  Who lost grown children?  Who are estranged from their own mothers?  The list goes on and on, and much the way "Christmas Cheer" makes many a poor soul want to jump out of the nearest window (or huddle with a bottle of scotch), Mother's Day is a gauntlet for so. many. women.  And don't even get me started on the way we gush about mommas in the U.S. of A. from one side of our mouths, while most mothers are denied paid maternity leave in order to, you know, actually nurture their babies.  (I think John Oliver said it best:  We love you Mom, "Now get the fuck back to work!".....Yeah, best not to get me started).

In our house, we have tended to keep things low key the past few years.  As a foodie I will assure you it's the worst day to eat out at restaurants.  Niblet and husband made me beautiful cards, and brought me flowers.  Most importantly they let me sleep late, enjoying a trashy romance novel whilst drinking the coffee they brought me in bed.  What more could a momma want? 

Other than that we spent the day.... weeding.  Yeah, not a glamorous day at the spa by any means, but just trust me when I say that my front yard  - which was completely covered in weeds - was starting to bring down the property values of our neighborhood.  Have I ever mentioned that Niblet's miraculous existence is also key to preventing my household to being a complete and total neighborhood embarrassment?  Speaking of gardening, I sent my own beautiful momma  - who is more inclined to handcrafted jewelry than Tiffany - some pretty earrings I found on etsy that reminded me of a spring garden....

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a peaceful Mother's day. Dh and I were in a hospital in Pennsylvania visiting his Grandmom who had open heart surgery (new heart valve). We had a long drive back. It took 3 hours due to an accident on 1 95 and road contruction on I65. We are back up that way for FIL's birthday next weekend and then a wedding the following weekend. I am thinking maybe we should move to PA to avoid all the driving lol

    ReplyDelete