Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Glass half full

So, I am spotting.  And a little crampy.  Long-time readers will recall I discussed a similar circumstance way back here in the summer of 2014.

You can't go through life constantly knocked up, without delivering a live baby, without preparing for this possibility that your next pregnancy will end.  If I am having a chemical pregnancy there's no question that it will be a huge bummer.  It will be my 5th (possibly 6th) consecutive loss.

But all is not hopeless if this is a chemical pregnancy.  For one thing, it means that my body may actually be working better than it has in years.  Sure, an early loss stings.  A loss at 8 weeks sucks.  A loss at 12 weeks that your body for some reason hasn't recognized is pain.  A loss in the second trimester is a level of hell that could have been written by Dante.

A chemical pregnancy also means that technically speaking, I am still fertile.  Our parts work.  Something got fertilized.  Maybe I don't need to rush to Boston for a hysteroscopy, which I assure you is nothing like a pleasant day of medical tourism.  Flying in to Logan, rushing to the hospital, having a scope rammed through your cervix and perhaps the joy of -- eeek -- microscissors cutting away scar tissue, and then rushing your crampy-assed self back to Logan is so far removed from a nice jaunt at Faneuil Hall. 

And finally, a chemical pregnancy could also mean that I could be more fertile next cycle.  Maybe I get another chance.

2 comments:

  1. I know spotting is always scary, but implantation causes it as well as cramps. Hang in there! I have everything crossed for you. You have a healthy daughter as proof that you can do this! *hugs*
    I can only imagine what pain you have felt losing your baby girl on reaching your second trimester.:(
    My 5th loss (we lost the heartbeat at my graduating 8 week appt) was more emotionally painful for me than my 1st missed miscarriage @10 weeks. Seeing the heartbeat 2 weeks in a row, the whole ivf process and injections. Being told the embryo was grade 5AA and my lining a perfect 9.5. Physically, well I passed a kidney stone in 2009 and that pain did not even compare to the horrific pain of my 1st mmc at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very hopeful for you that it is not a chemical but, if it is, I think it's great and inspiring that you are focusing on the positives. My latest miscarriage (missed miscarriage) was at 8 weeks and was due to a chromosomal abnormality, and as horrible as it was to find that out, I was so thankful that I didn't have to again contemplate TFMR in the second trimester! I would never have imagined that I could feel positive regarding such a thing 7 years ago when pregnant with my first! Hang in there, fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete