Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The mad scramble when you only acknowledge a baby half-way through the pregnancy.

Nutmeg is kicking my bladder as I write this, I'm almost 29 weeks.  Moms at the school drop off are just starting to notice and comment, and thankfully, no one has said anything that hasn't been sweet and kind.


(And is my work bathroom the most depressing space in the universe, or what?)

Sometimes I can't believe how much this pregnancy is like the one I carried Niblet.  I look the same, feel the same, eat the same things.  I happily DO NOT have gestational diabetes.  My cervix remains sealed up tight.  I'm starting to get a little more sleepy in third-trimester-land, slowing down a bit from my usual frenetic pace.

Our house is a disaster - there is literally no where to put this baby should she arrive early.  Nibble joked that in one of her books a baby was placed in a dresser drawer, and I sadly realized we don't even have this option.  Viking and I have even come up with a desperate action plan this holiday season - I will take Niblet to NYC to see my 'rents alone, while he stays behind to get the office cleaned out and baby furniture assembled and installed.  (TBH, this is fine, his relationship with my parents is best summed up as "cordial").

I've drafted a detailed work plan for my work-husband in my absence, which I now am certain will be six months.  Back to work sometimes in July.

I've begun a registry, because coworkers are harassing me about it, but I can't get my act together to throw a shower.  There's no way people will be allowed to enter my house en masse at this point.

We need car seats.  We need an infant carrier.  We need a day care spot reserved (STAT).  We need a will and new power of attorney papers because despite our youthful visages, Viking and I are as old as fuck.

Eleven weeks left y'all. 

3 comments:

  1. Gobble gobble alone would suck but if he needs alone and brew time then maybe that's a good thing. I know we abandoned my Big Bunny and went to Houston with my sister as we prepared for foundation repair...back in July. I swear he just moved one pile to another area for ten days... I mean did you get anything done? Foundation not done yet so.... Unsupervised Viking may suck at the cleaning list. I know mine surely did.

    Your bump is super cute!
    Personally I hate registry but it is a lovely gift from those that love you. My $100 on Craigslist bought me $1000 of a barely used sea of pink. My Fizzgig just out grew it waaaaay beyond my expectations ;) I mean shitfire: at 2 she was in 4t and 5t!! My only retail shopping experience for a tiny female human was my salvation army angel tree recipient... I think that might be sad but a testimony of the power of the eBay search word "lot" and consignment sales :)

    Glad 3rd trimester not kicking you hard yet. Old or young in chronological age, we will all die so will a good idea for us all. I know my FIL died when my DH was 4 and his will was updated the day before my beloved was born. It caused many tears. But preparing for a future with him in it was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unsupervised Viking won't clean a thing. But if he hauls the office furniture to the attic and hauls the baby furniture back down to the office, I will feel better about life.

      The registry has things like swaddle blankets, crib sheets and onesies on it. And the expensive ear thermometer we will surely lose because Viking and I are both too squeamish for the cheaper rectal one.

      Delete
  2. Walmart two second one $10 but I have oogled over the ear ones. One of the bigger fights I have had with DH was wtf did you do for 10 days!?! I was pregnant with this and foundation work means more living space. 100 year old home sucks. But I had placenta blow off as I drove home and learned it the next day. My point was, anxiety of new baby had me on high alert vs no anxiety on his part... And yes basics new will be neat and giggledy until they are poppy :)

    ReplyDelete