Wednesday, December 27, 2017

still knocked up

Yesterday was insane because I got sent around my hospital for three different appointments, and yet none included an actual growth scan to see what the fuck this baby looks like.

I got a peek at her during a fluid check ultrasound (and OF COURSE she held her fist up in front of her face, because she is my daughter and hates the papparazzi).  But my fluid levels at 36 +4 weeks are normal, AND Nutmeg is (finally) head down, so, Yay!

Then I had a Non Stress Test (NST) to check her heart rate and movement - with the chattiest nurse ever.  Now, the thing is, I met this nurse years ago - she was the attending OB nurse at my D&C when we said goodbye to Celine.  I remember her because she was kind, but also very no-nonsense, and said to me before I was being wheeled in "You look very young and very fit.  You'll be able to get pregnant again."

Well, she didn't remember me all  these years later, but as I lay down she was asking me my age.  "Ancient," I said.  "I am forty-three."  "Not ancient at all.  You look really young," she replied.

Anyways, as I listened to Nutmeg's heartbeat, I learned more about this woman than I know about some of my own family members.  She was raised Jewish but now considers herself a Wiccan, and doesn't wear her pentagram because she doesn't want to freak out patients.  She used to be a dancer and did a two year stint as an NFL dancer.  She married her high school sweetheart and has two grown children.  I could go on.  I'm sure I'll learn more at my NST next week.

Finally I had an appointment with an OB in Dr W's office.  My cervix is closed.  My weight gain is still under 30 pounds so far.  I should have gotten a growth scan by now, somehow that was missed, but I'll get one next week and we'll see what we're dealing with.

Obligatory "I swallowed a bowling ball" shot in depressing office bathroom at nearly 37 weeks:


1 comment:

  1. Good news on all!
    Super great. Sending you mental strength and crazy easy birthing juju!

    ReplyDelete